The Voices Against Cancer Initiative event in Sioux Falls is looking epic. At this event, nine great cartoon voice actors will be attending to help raise money for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. I’ve already done posts about 3 of the announced guests: Frank Welker (Soundwave), Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime), and Alan Oppenheimer (Skeletor). Somehow I forgot to blog about a fourth guest (in my defense, I’m working in a tax office during a hectic time). This fourth guest is none other than legendary voice actor Jim Cummings! He happens to be the voice of one of the greatest cartoons from the early ’90s: Darkwing Duck! In this post, I will look at a few of the roles Cummings has played over the years.
I am the terror that flaps in the night!
When I heard the voice of Darkwing Duck was coming to Sioux Falls, I immediately went into full geek nostalgia mode. To me, Darkwing Duck was one of the greatest cartoons from the early 90s. If you have Disney+ this is a must watch show. The dialogue was spot on for a majority of the series (there were some weak episodes, but we won’t talk about those). And channeling that great dialogue into Darkwing Duck was none other than Jim Cummings. I would attend the VAC event just to meet Mr. Cummings, but there is more!
So many cool voices
But there is more, so much more, to Jim Cummings than Darkwing Duck (still my favorite). Here is a just a small list of Jim Cummings voice acting roles I enjoy:
- Winnie-the-Pooh. Ok, I’ll admit I’m not a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh. (I am a fan of Eeyore, currently voiced by Peter Cullen however). But since 1988, Cummings has been the official voice of Winnie the Pooh. It is rather cool that the official voice of Pooh is coming to Sioux Falls.
- Animaniacs! Cummings did a lot of voices for the Animaniacs. His narrator and announcer voices were great. Of particular note is when Cummings did his Sterling Holloway tributes at various times during the series. Sterling had taken many of Holloway’s voice roles over, including that of Pooh. It was just quite refreshing to see the tributes to Holloway made on this show.
- Hondo Ohnaka. Hondo was the pirate from Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. He was such a great character that had some great storylines and growth throughout the series. Cummings’s voice work with this character was masterful!
- Extreme Ghostbusters Theme Song! I just found out Cummings performed the intro song for the Extreme Ghostbusters. I just recently watched this series on Hulu and will probably go back and watch it again just to hear his intro performance!
- Lorewalker Cho! World of Warcraft is my favorite MMORPG. In the Mists of Pandaria expansion pack, Cummings did the voice work for Lorewalker Cho. He also performed the introduction for the expansion (which was pretty cool from what I remember). He also did a lot of additional voices for the Legion expansion.
Cummings has done too many voices for me to mention
Jim Cummings has performed hundreds of voices over his career. The few voices I mentioned above are only a tiny fraction of what he has done. But to me, he will always be Darkwing Duck, and I still hold out hope there will be a new DW series and can once again get dangerous! With guests like Jim Cummings, the Voices Against Cancer event in June is going to rock!
Song of the Day: Extreme Ghostbusters Intro
Cummings is the voice behind this very cool intro for the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon:
Bonus Song: The Many Voices of Jim Cummings
This eight-minute video showcases many of the voices masterfully performed by Mr. Cullen: